Thursday, August 30, 2012

How do we learn to serve?





"Mom, can we do my glitter glue?"  Did I miss the "good morning" or was it simply omitted?
"Hi Mom! Can we watch 'Bob the Builder'?  At least he said hi.

"Momma? Would it be ok if I did my chores this afternoon when it's too warm for me to play outside?"  We haven't even begun our school day yet and it's only 8a.m.

"Mum, Mum, Mum..."  I don't think there was any request attached to that.  

I recently uncovered a little "Daily Bible Verse" calendar cards that I had pulled out of the holder.  On one side is the verse from Isaiah 60:1, "Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you."

Upon turning the card over, I had at some point scribbled down a quote from Andrew Murray.  It reads: "The higher I rise in the consciousness of being like Christ, God's beloved child, the deeper shall I stoop to serve all around me." (A. Murray, Like Christ, As One That Serveth).

This morning, as I moved from room to room, from chore to chore, from teaching to cooking to playing to reading to kissing bumps and washing scraps, from receiving wet kisses and hugs from the skinny arms of girls, I'm learning how to physically stoop to be eye to eye with my children.  

Adult pride sometimes acts as a post to which I am tied, unable to stoop down but able to give commands, make demands, growl and scowl, and shout short snippets of praise that are blotted out by the thumps of little feet or children's voices.  
Sometimes it's hard to take a knee.

But if I am becoming more like Jesus, the One who fell to his knees to pray to His Father, should I not be found on my knees to tell them and teach them?  To hold them and make them safe?  To comfort and encourage?  

As a mom being trailed all around the house by five energy bursting, twinkle-eyed, curious and adventurous children can be tiring - and yet, He was wearied for me.  What a wonder! 

My Sweet Savior, was tired and stooped to his knees for me.  He, the Christ, loved me like this.

My I endeavor to be more like Christ, so that I may stoop lower to love others better.

On her website, www.aholyexperience.com , Ann Voskamp encourages us to constantly look for the graces that appear daily, every moment in life, and write them down.  I've been jotting them down, albeit inconsistently, in a journal.  I thought, however, I'd write some here whenever I post:

#328  Paper, colored pencils, scissors, glue = science project, animal cells
#329 Matthew's clever smile as he tries to sneak in the house, home early from work
#330 Pancakes and peaches and coffee
#331 Finding new things to enjoy about my children today
#332 Anna's new found means of expressing her questions about Jesus, faith, and life through poetry
#333 Rachel's color coordinated animal cell 
#334 Elly remembered the "short u" sound
#335 Zeke and Jude - Extreme toy car racing.
#336 Being trusted by a little girl heart and mind to save her from a bad dream.

No comments: