Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Beauty on the battlefield

Day after day, moment by moment, breath by breath we train our children.  We know we love them - long for them to truly know that love.  We pray for their salvation - longing for them to be embraced by The Greatest of Love. 
And we know as well that a battle has been waged and is raging for their souls and allegience.  Sometimes the battle is visible - other times it is hidden.

Some nights I climb into bed feeling as if the battle left carnage and disaster.  I fought poorly, I defended poorly, they forfeited their line - and on and on and on. 

But this is not how the battle is won.  Yes, we continue with each day, each moment, each breath to train them to fight the battle for now  - forever.  I think, though, many victories are won by littering the battlefield with beauty.

When I see my children laugh and smile, loving living - this is beauty on the battlefield.  When little girl fingers lace their way between mine - this is beauty on the battlefield.
The sight of my girls running and imaging together - this is joy being shed in the battle.

When my sons laugh their deep, boy laughs and their eyes twinkle - these are the victors on the battlefield.
The sound of brother shouting "Come on, Jude!" to brother - these are courageous calls from a boy not understanding the devil wants him to be weak.

When little boy lips brush my cheek and "love you" is whispered in my hear with warm breath - this is beauty in the midst of the battle.

The Lord sprinkles the battlefield with young seeds and waters them with joy, curiousity, laughter, trust, play, love, Himself.  They will grow on the battlefield and it will become a medium for beauty.

"Then our sons in their youth will be like well-nurtured plants, and our daughters will be like pillars carved to adorn a palace." (Ps.144:12)

Nurturing and carving - the battle can be brutal with pruning and weeding, chiseling and sanding.  But in the end, on the battlefield - strewn with dead branches and leaves, splinters and wood dust - beauty arises. 

In the midst of your battle, I pray that you will see the beauty that is around you.

No comments: