Tuesday, January 24, 2012

words worth sharing

We've all seen them - movies chock full of one-liners.  Sometimes there are days when a well placed line or phrase simply says it all.  Here's a few comments that made my day.

During snack time at our homeschool co-op, I asked one of my students, "Are those honey-roasted peanuts you're having?"  "No," she replied seriously, "they're the peanut butter kind."

In our science lab, we made an egg float by making a solution of salt and water.  The salt makes the water more dense than the egg, therefore the egg will float.  After successfully floating the egg, one of the children in my class said, "If you put a lot of salt in a swimming pool, old people could float."

After having a couple days of rain, the sun was out - warm and irresistable.  We were all outside soaking it in.  I gave a stern, but fair warning to all my children to stay away from the water that had collected in the sandturtle (it happens when the lid is left off).  A short while later, Elly comes walking up to me as I stood looking at an area for a flower garden.  I did notice she was walking rather oddly, but she is often being silly, so I gave it no thought. 
"Mama?"
"Yes, Elly."
"My foot is wet."
"How did that happen?"
"I don't know!"
"Really? Were you playing in the water?"
"No.  I was just walking around the edge of the turtle and I slipped."
"Oh. Well, go change your socks and shoes."
"Ok.   Mama, my pants are wet too.  And my panties."
That's when I fully looked at her.  Indeed, she was wet - clearly more than just a stepping in the water. 
"How did you get so wet?!"
"When I slipped I had to sit down too."  Of course!  I've slipped a few times, more than just physically.  Sitting still for a moment seems a very practical thing to do.  Right?

No comments: