Monday, January 16, 2012

A lesson in my cup of tea

First, a confession.  Each morning I wake up I have a renewed resolve to be actively looking for God throughout the day.  Quite often then at bedtime, as I draw the covers up to my nose, I lay there trying to remember what I saw.  It's not that I have a bad memory, but it's that I am prone to distraction.  So I was somewhat stunned when the Lord revealed a bit more of himself to me via my evening cup of tea.

Now, for anyone who enjoys a cup of Earl Grey, you know that it is strong - bold, if you will.  The longer it brews, the bolder it becomes.  So tonight, as my daughters prepared for their showers, I poured the boiling water into my cup, "dunked" the tea bag to assure it would brew well, and jogged upstairs to help them get started.  All this with the intention of returning in a few minutes, when my tea was perfect (of course!), and savor that first, hot, bold sip. 
This I did - 15 minutes later!  And as I stepped into the kitchen, realizing that I had been distracted much longer than planned, I starred at the Earl Grey tag dangling from the rim of my cup.  That's when I realized something: the longer it is steaped, the bolder it becomes!  The Lord in his incredible grace drew the line from my cup of tea to His Word.  The longer I steap in His Word, the more enboldened I am to see Him, to love Him, to learn from Him, to live like and for Him, and to tell others about Him.

"If a man remains in ME, and I in him - he will bear much fruit."

My cup of Earl Grey - BOLD!  Very very BOLD!

No comments: