Friday, October 19, 2012

{31 Days} Day 19 - How to land a blow to sloth...

Sloth - What a downright, grotesque word.  It's fine for the three-toed, slow moving, tree dweller, but for people?  Really.  However, I do think it deals quite plainly with our daily problem of misusing our extra time.

I realize that I haven't posted for several days, but it's not due to sloth.  I've just been downright crazy busy - and it's been amazing!  Ok, before you go clicking that little "x" at the top of your screen, just hear me out.  The busyness in the business of the last few days has been of a good kind.  God has used many moments (some a bit unpleasant and frustrating) to teach me more about His work.  The work of my sanctification through the Holy Spirit, through the tools of loving my husband, teaching and loving my children, being a keeper of my home, and using my gifts to serve others in the church and at large.

In considering God's work within my life, I decided to take note of specific areas he is working in which are pushing me forward to respond in a new and better way to his guidance.  This list (which, by the way, seems to keep growing) is what I want to share with you in the waning days of October.  Hopefully, I can keep up!

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." {1 Thes. 5:16-18}

For today, I can make the choice to have joy.  It sounds kinda far-fetched, but we truly have a choice in this.  How often I have been blistering mad and boiled right over onto the kids! And then, after half the day is gone, I still feel like I'd prefer to stay mad and make everyone miserable!  And if I choose to live there, not only is everyone else miserable and running covert routes to avoid Mama, but I'm miserable and dark in my outlook.  Weakness sets in; reason is kicked out the door; sin is lurking for the chance to lay waste.  It's dreadful friends. All due to the choice to hold onto anger and grumpiness.

But we do have this thing called choice.  So when I feel justified in scowling at all the little blondies running around the house, or growling at my husband the moment he walks in the door from work, how can I choose joy?

Here's where I have planted my feet in this battle:  

"The JOY of the Lord is [my] strength." {Neh. 8:10}

"There is deceit in the hearts of those who plot evil, but JOY for those who promote peace." {Prov. 12:20}

Strength & Peace...How could I chose against those virtues?  

The strength of the Lord, which is His Holy Spirit, is also the same strength (or power) that raised Jesus from the dead!  {Take a moment to read Ephesians 1:19-20}

And His Peace - surpassing understanding, that guards our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus!

"And the PEACE of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." {Phil. 4:7}

Do notice, that this JOY and this PEACE cannot...can never...be separated from the Savior, Jesus Christ.  

Walk with Christ and the choice for joy becomes easier and the strength felt stronger and the peace so very safe.

No comments: