Friday, October 12, 2012

{31 Days} Days 11&12~Planting, Watering, Bedding

http://www.stockfreeimages.com/
I began this post yesterday, but the pull of "Mommyyyyy!!!! Mommaaaaa!!!! Mom Mom Mom!!!" coming from every direction slightly overwhelmed me.  Thankfully, we were all outside, soaking in the cool breeze while warming in the sunshine.  October in South Carolina.

Several days ago we had turned the soil, mixed in some good earthy material, and laid in new plants.  It's been nearly four years and we're only really beginning to settle the house in it's space - ease it into the landscape.

It was just yesterday, then, that I had the chance to finish the work, adding the golden pine straw the keep the soil still and the water from evaporating away.

Kids were here and there; running, shouting, laughing, living.  Crazy, silly kids...I could use a boost of their energy!  But they needed me and I needed their lack of inhibition.

Daddy is away - hiking part of the Appalachian Trail with his buddies.  It's only been two days- feels much longer.  So the reinforcement won't be coming home for a few days.  I'm glad for his time to move and be manly.  Sleeping in the cold, under forest canopy, lighting the warming fire and chatting with good friends.  It's a good change.  He needed that kind of watering so that he might grow more.

I kept dragging the rake to gather the pine straw.  God is good and all He does is Good. He's turning much soil and setting the plants and watering them and bedding them down to protect their little roots.  The picture of God's great work in the lives of his beloved is reflected in everything.  "The good God is everywhere..." I once read.  Indeed, He is.

And now I listen to their bedtime chatter.  Anna is offering the comfort of God's omnipresence to her sisters. The same words of comfort that I shared with her this afternoon.

Oh my Father, make their roots run deep.
Hem [them] in - behind and before; lay your hand upon them.
For You created their inmost being; You knit them together in my womb.
May they praise You because they are fearfully and wonderfully made.
Search them, O God, and now their hearts; test them and know their anxious thoughts.  
See if there is any offensive way in them, and lead them in the way everlasting. ~Amen.
{parts of Psalm 139}
~~~
Fathers and mothers are the most natural agents for God to use in the salvation of their children (Spurgeon).



No comments: