Monday, October 8, 2012

{31 Days} Day 8 - Catching my kids loving life

School was wrapping up for the morning, my big girls scrawling out their copywork at the table.  My boys running in telling me that they are soooooooo hungry.  In the middle of it all, Elly (my 4-year-old) comes up with a princess book in her hand.  "Mommy, can you read this to me?"

God is teaching me to slow down and see little people requests like this one as moments of blessing and connection.  Too often I say something like, "Can I read it to you after lunch?  The boys are really hungry and we're trying to wrap up our morning school work.  Would that be ok?"  And Elly generally says that it's fine with her.  However, I have begun to notice that "after lunch" doesn't happen!  Thus the lesson from the Lord.

"Sure, Elly.  Want to snuggle on the reading rug?" is my reply.  Trust me, there is no greater wonder than that smile she gives.  Beautiful...Stunning.

So she plops on my lap and we open the princess book.  It's an easy reader kind of book.  Sentences three words long or less.  It's ok, because Elly is all ears.  So we read how the princess dreams about dancing.  How she spins and twirls and poses in her loveliness.  And she meets the handsome prince who is enchanted by the princess and dances with her.

We read it through.  Then, Elly decides to be the princess.  So I read and Elly does each thing: she spins and twirls and poses.  Sadly, there is no handsome prince to be found (you see, a 3-year-old brother just won't do).  Where is Daddy when you need him?!

Well, Elly had a plan.  When Daddy gets home, she's gonna ask if he'll be her handsome prince and dance with her...all while Mommy takes a movie of it.  And that is exactly what she does.  And Daddy (as only Daddy can) gallantly accepts her request and hurries to look like a proper prince (suit jacket an all).

So I used my hands to take this movie.  I present to you "SnowElly and the Handsome Prince," with story read by Anna.

No comments: