Tuesday, October 2, 2012

{31 Days of Using My Hands} Day 2-Rosemary Wreath

I was briefly chastised by my loving husband for choosing the word "slothful" in my "31 Days" intro and Day 1 post.  He said, "I don't think you'll ever be slothful."  Ok, I reticent.  How about "idleness" instead?

Moving on!
Yesterday I tackled the rosemary bush out back.  I grew up in Iowa and never knew rosemary could be a bush - shrub - tree?  Now that I call South Carolina home, I am amazed at these things!

So the shrub had to be moved.  And if you move a rosemary shrub, you have to prune it.  And if you prune it, you not only end up rather aromatic (in a pretty nice way, I might add), but you must figure out what to do with all that rosemary.

Here are the options I felt worth considering:

Option 1: Throw it into the compost.  It might make the compost heap smell more pleasant.
Option 2: Eat it - all of it.  (I don't think so.)
Option 3: Give it away.  Yes yes and yes!
Option 4: Turn it into something, like - a wreath!

Here's how I used my hands (and the hands of my girls) today:
Crazy rosemary branches jammed into a bucket.

Three branches lashed together to be braided and then wrapped into a circle.

A finished rosemary wreath.
As when I pruned the shrub, I finished smelling like a rosemary shrub myself.  My thumbs and index fingers are sore from twisting florist wire around the stems, but I think the result is worth it.

So what will I do with rosemary wreaths (I ended up with 15 of them)?

I will give them away to my sweet sisters at church as we share life together.  As I worked with the branches, sorting them, binding them, braiding them, and the uniting the ends, I pondered life as the body of Christ.  As believers work, live, worship, rejoice, grieve, and fellowship together- our lives becoming intertwined- we should, in all our interactions, be leaving behind the aroma of Christ on one another, taking it to our homes and into our families and into the world.

I want to give that visual reminder to my sisters in the Lord.

No comments: