Monday, October 1, 2012

31 Days of Using My Hands (or "An experimental rebellion against slothfulness") Day 1

I am so very tired!
I fell asleep reading a book for Sunday school and woke up uncertain of how long I had been asleep and where all the children were.  Thankfully, the boys were still napping and my girls were either reading or outside swinging.
I had to get moving or I'd be the proverbial zombie all afternoon.  So I jumped up, shook the tiredness from my arms and headed out the door.  After 30 minutes of digging dirt, unpotting new plants, and sinking their thirsty roots into the ground, I felt much refreshed and a little less irritable (did I forget to mention that I was very tired AND irritable?).

I've always known that the easiest way for me to combat fatigue and mental weariness was to get moving.  And while I move I pray or recite a memory verse.  It's always a good thing.  So why and how do I forget?

Being worn out is never easy.  Catching up on the sleep that was surrendered nine years ago with the birth of our first child seems like it will never happen.  Then there's the activity of family life, school life, church life, etc, etc, etc.  The spiritual and emotional life take a hit as well.

So I am going to do a month-long experiment with using my hands and getting moving as a way to combat "zombie syndrome" and refresh my body, mind, and spirit - all at the same time.  Nooooo, it's not a formula or recipe for getting life right.  It is, however, an experiment in rebelling against the temptation to become slothful (such a great word).  It may not always work and I will have to be sure to put my hands to something the children can join me in as well.  It will prove interesting, I have no doubt.  I also have no doubt that the Lord will use this in some way to teach me more about learning to trust Him and do all things for His glory and good purpose.

I'm joining hundreds of others in the challenge of blogging daily on a specific topic.  Check out http://www.thenester.com/category/31-days to see all the other links.

Day 1
I tackled my runaway, out-of-control, "take over the whole flower bed" rosemary shrub.  Living in the southeast is so very different from where I grew up in Iowa.  That's a no-brainer!  But the things that I knew as annuals there are more than perennials here.  They become shrubs and trees!
So my rosemary is totally out of control and needs to be moved.  Therefore, I must prune it.  So with two little boys happy to see digging tools and loppers, I head out to confront the rosemary bush.

Long story short, the bush is now in a different home, I walked away smelling like rosemary from head to foot, and I have a five-gallon bucket stuffed full of rosemary branches.  What do I do with it all?  How about a rosemary wreath?!  Check out tomorrow's post!

augustapeters.blogspot.com/2012/10/31-days-of-using-my-hands.html

No comments: